I looked at some of my college bible history books yesterday regarding the Canon. I got the impression that the reliability of what we think about how, when, and why the canon developed is pretty good. Textual reliability I haven't looked into yet.
I found an interesting comment: there was one time during the early Christian period when Jewish interpretations of the Septuagint (the Jewish and, at the time, also the Christian's favorite version of the Old Testament), "carefully excluded" the possibility that those scriptures might have been suggesting that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah. The interesting thing was that both the Jews and Christians believed in that version, but rather than finding points of agreement upon which to seek God together, their interpretations were so contradictory that they "might almost have been two different bodies of literature" (Bruce, F. F. New Testament History. Garden City, New York: Anchor, 1972.).
If that is true, then what some of the Jews have been saying lately about historical Christian anti-Semitism, which of course has been rampant in Church history, also has had some unfortunate, if minor, parallels in Jewish history. The thing is, in this case the Jews were probably just trying to preserve their man-made religion when God was moving on to a new age. In the Christians' case it seems like it may have been more a "kill everyone who won't believe in Jesus" kind of thing.
Does anyone know more off the top of the head about Christianity's history of anti-Semitism?
By the way, I think wherever possible it would behoove us to cite sources such as I did above. It may be a valuable ministry to other seekers, or to continue our own studies. Or, it may just be me making everything too complicated and too much like homework, as usual.
The Dead Prophets Society
We seek truth ABOUT the Bible, in order to gain truth FROM the Bible.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home